Sage Mode was first used by Naruto during his battle with the Akatsuki member, Pain. Since that battle, Naruto has used Sage Mode frequently as a form of "sixth sense", being able to detect hidden enemies by their chakra, or spirit energy.
In Naruto's first appearance in this form, he wore a red robe with a black flame pattern, and a large scroll on his back. Sage Naruto appears as a separate character in Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2, 3, Generations, Revolution, and Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Impact.
Senjutsu, or Sage Technique, refers to a specialised field of techniques that allows the user to sense and then gather the natural energy around a person. Senjutsu practitioners can then learn to draw the energy of nature inside of them by blending it with their own chakra, adding a new dimension of power to the sage's chakra, resulting in the creation of "senjutsu chakra". This new chakra enables the user to enter an empowered state called Sage Mode, which can then drastically increase the strength of all of the user's techniques. A prerequisite to being able to use senjutsu is that the user must have a large reservoir of chakra themselves in order to manipulate the natural energy.
- Default: Red Robe with Black Flame Pattern, Orange Jumpsuit, Yellow Toad-Like Eyes with red rings, Brown Scroll.
- Hokage Naruto: White Robe with Red Flame Pattern, Orange Jumpsuit, Blue Eyes, Red Scroll
- Akatsuki Naruto: Black Robe with Red and White Cloud Patterns, Dark Grey Jumpsuit, Blue Eyes, Black Scroll.
- Student Naruto: Black Robes with White Interior Design, White Shirt and Blue Pants, Blue Eyes, White Scroll
- The Last: Naruto's outfit from The Last: Naruto the Movie.