|Developer(s)||From Software (Originally Acquire)|
|Publisher(s)||From Software (Originally Activision)|
|First Release||August 31, 1998|
|Platform(s)||PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable|
Tenchu (天誅) is the title of a stealth game series of video games originally developed by Acquire wherein the player assumes the role of a ninja.
The series takes place in 16th-century feudal Japan. The original story (Stealth Assassins) revolves around two ninjas, Rikimaru and Ayame, who have both been members of the Azuma ninja clan since childhood. The two ninjas serve the heroic Lord Gohda and work for him as his secret spies to root out corruption and gather intelligence in his province. However, the evil demonic sorcerer Lord Mei-Oh sought to destroy Lord Gohda, and using his demon warrior Onikage, wreaked havoc throughout Lord Gohda's province. Although Mei-Oh was killed in the first game, Onikage appeared in all subsequent games (except Fatal Shadows and Sehran/Z) as the archenemy of the two ninja, especially Rikimaru. Another major character who shows up frequently is Princess Kiku, Lord Gohda's daughter who is often the damsel in distress.
Connection With All-StarsEdit
- Rikimaru is a playable character in Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale.
- Ayame appears as a minion.
- Onikage appears in Rikimaru's Story Mode.
- Lord Gohda appears in Rikimaru's Story Mode.
- Tatsumaru and Princess Kiku are downloadable minions.
- Tenchu: Stealth Assassins - 1998 (PS1)
- Tenchu 2: Birth of the Stealth Assassins - 2000 (PS1)
- Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven - 2003 (PS2/PSP)
- Tenchu: Fatal Shadows - 2004 (PS2/PSP)
- Tenchu: Time of the Assassins - 2005 (PSP)
- Tenchu: Shadow Assassins - 2008 (PSP)